All about Siwon

Friday, February 20, 2015

[TRANS] 150220 I-Weekly Magazine February Issue: 903 Interview with Siwon

 
POV of the reporter:

The presidential suite was full of laughter.

World action star + Korea super idol gathering at the same venue, by right it should be an atmosphere that was full of anxiety. Yet, Jackie Chan is never a picky person, and Choi Siwon is always a polite gentleman, so the positive warmth had doubled up the whole place.
"Treat me well, the year of goat!" Jackie was smiling as he picked the white porcelain sheep, never-ending ranting that how he dislikes horse (referring to the year of horse), and likes sheep instead.
Siwon who was trailing behind, saw the red porcelain sheep, and had his bright eyes sparkled with excitement as he picked up the sheep with care.
The old and the young, were playing on their own in front of the camera.
They took the sheep and posed it close to their faces, shoulders and foreheads, even kissed the face and back of the sheep. Jackie laughed out of the sudden, and used Cantonese to speak: "Hahaha! He (referring to Siwon) is kissing the butt!" (Siwon) with an innocent face, explained that he had to show the design on the sheep to the camera, (so) he wasn't doing that purposely, and caused the people on the scene to laugh out loud.
During the photo taking, (Jackie) wanted to throw the sheep to me, making me panicked and I shook my head anxiously with my clumsy hands screaming "Ah! No no! Ah!" The more I screamed, the more Jackie wanted to throw to me, the more I got panicked, the more happy he was, and even turned to Siwon and said: "I haven't throw to her yet, and she screamed." Pardon me big brother, I am not part of your action team.
Age is not a problem, Jackie Chan who is already 60 years old behaved like a 6 years old, even more active than Siwon who is 28 years old yet with an innocent face.
Old and young big stars, no comparison on status, no competition on grand entrance, just getting along as friendly in their own ways, with smiles that are so true and natural.
The year of the gentle goat, hoping that everyone will be the same as them, happy; everyday as the same as this day, with peace.
Choi Siwon - How not to love him?
Debuted at the age of 18, and he got his popularity worldwide together with the name Super Junior when he reached 20.
His father was once a CEO of a pharmaceutical company, an university lecturer, his mother was rumored to be a foreign-affairs politician. 
The members of SJ used to joke about him half-heartedly, saying that he can even buy a TV station using his wealth from his family.
Good family status and wealth, blessing in his social circle, everyone would agreed for him to be named as the best life example of the most blessed person.
Yet, the blessings are never counted as how much you have own.
When others are chasing their lucks in life, they didn't expect that the luck has already appeared in their lives.
He said that he is very happy and contented with the life he is having now.
"My parents are there when I open my eyes in the morning everyday...I am deeply grateful."
Whatever he wants seems to be easy to get hold of, but he never stops moving, moving continuously towards the center of the world. "Expressing myself through acting is an extremely awesome thing to do, what I am doing now is the best job ever in the world, I did not want to waste it."
At the age of 28, he is ambitious for his future.
"Jackie Chan, Chow Yun Fat, Andy Lau, Aaron Kwok, Jay Chou... They can accomplish anything and everything, I want to be someone like them."



POV of the reporter:
The interview duration was 40 minutes.
With him in front, has the feel of a rich boy, but there is not a hint of arrogant in him, and not a single haughtiness of a popular star. He always wear a smile on his face, full of politeness.
He is one of the few Korean stars whom did not need to have a translator with him all the times, and he used Mandarin and English throughout the entire interview. He said he did not like the feel of not able to express his thinking, (therefore) he wants to excel in foreign languages.
Only when he couldn't find the correct word to express himself, he would turn around asking for help in Korean.
Without the level of translating, it closed up the distance in between instead.
Is he handsome? Just like how he presented himself on screen always, the perfect image with zero flaws, but there is warmth in him. It is a must for him to be careful at all times as a super popular K-pop idol, it is, but (he) wasn't that prim and proper as what everyone thought, (he) would prank and crack jokes as well. During a conversation, he spoke about the filming on the fight scene with Oscar Awards winner, Adrien Brody, and he got himself an NG, he joked: "Damn, I was thinking, would he(Adrien) bring out a King Kong on me?" (*King Kong was the film that Adrien did in 2005.)



And what he expressed the most throughout, was his admiration for Jackie Chan.
Question: What is the substance that attracted you to accept this movie?
Siwon: There are a lot of reasons, but the most important thing is the message that the movie wanted to present, especially at this century, Peace. There isn't a need to fight among the people, we can find a way to solve the problem and live in harmony. There are times where people would use ways for a better life, which are not indeed good, but the victory will always be at the positive side. And of course, Jackie Chan is one of the reasons, as I am always anticipating to work with him. And lastly, John Cusack and Adrien Brody, "2012" biggest hero and Oscar Awards winner, they are all awesome actors. In the future, I wish I could have more chance to be part of a Hollywood movie, so this is a real good experience to work with all of them.
Question: About your character, General Yin Po, there is a greatest ambition in his heart, what about yours?
Siwon: I don't think that as an ambition, Yin Po is just doing what he thinks is right. As for me...I wish to be an actor that can represent Asia, just like Jackie. I am from Korea, when you ask the foreigners, which Asian actor came to your mind first? Many would say Jackie Chan, Jet Li, Chow Yun Fat or Tony Leung, seldom people would think of Korean actors, so I want to be the first, to represent Korea or even the world as an Asian actor. Jackie has given me many inspiration, thinking about the next generation, caring about people around me, no matter how high your status is, always be modest and back to the beginning.
When associate with him, I still feel nervous. Sometimes, I envy those actors who are of the same age as me, because they have him. He always think of the new generation, wanting to promote new faces in this showbiz. The people nowadays are more individualized, when they see some of the things that are owned by others are good, they would want to copy, and lack of own style, but he (Jackie) taught me that we should be proud of our own culture, I will always remember that.



Question: What was your first impression when you saw Adrien Brody?
Siwon: I had a NG take when I was filming with him. I forgot my lines, and I was like Damn, is he(Adrien) going to bring out a King Kong on me? But he continued with his acting, Wow, (him) was so Pianist, so King Kong! Too awesome, I was totally attracted by his charisma in acting. He is very friendly, and did his stuffs all by himself, no manager no assistant with him... I think there isn't anyone who would not like him, when I first saw him, I told him, I am your biggest fan, and I am honored to be working with you. I wasn't that exaggerated with my expression, ha, that isn't my style. He would call me to hop onto his van, asking me if I want to lunch with him. When my father came visit me at the set, he didn't know who is Adrien, there is only Jackie in his mind. My father was very funny, he asked, who is that man with the big nose? I went "shhhhh... Dad, he is a famous actor!" He said, oh seems like it. Wow son, his van is big! (laugh)
Question: You had a big fighting scene with him, did you prepared anything for the communication? Did you ask for tips from him?
Siwon: I asked him if my English pronunciation was good? Adrien just simply replied, not to worry, because you are an Asian, and your character is from ancient China, there isn't a need to speak too proper. Wow., really thanks him for enlightening me on that. I went to America when I was 20, so I understand English, but couldn't expressed it well so wasn't feeling great on that, and I can only learn it in Korea. I think, if I were to speak good English, I could have the chance to promote in US, like Jackie Chan, Zhang Ziyi, Lee Byung-hun hyung, so I decided to learn it with determination.




Question: When was the first time that you get to know about Jackie's movies?
Siwon: Maybe when I was 2, 3 years old, or even hearing the movies when I was still inside my mother's tummy, ha. My favorite movie is "Rush Hour", that was the first Hollywood movie for an Asian actor to be starred in. Before that, we could only think of Bruce Lee and his kungfu. In my generation, after "Rush Hour", Jackie became a Hollywood action star, the first Asian actor to rise in Hollywood.
Question: Jackie is famous for doing every single matters at the set, were you taken a special care by him?
Siwon: All the same, he has no preference to anyone specially. He is a big brother, yet very humble, and he did everything on his own. He is just like an encyclopedia, and the way he treats staffs, his style of working at the set, I wasn't any less familiar with such working environment. My first movie was <A Battle of the Wits>, I worked with Ahn Sung-ki at that time, and he is like a teacher in Korea as well, well-respected by many, and he is a really nice person, just like Jackie. When they were having their meals, they never separated themselves with others, always eating together. This time, (I) went to China Aksai for the filming, a very faraway place from the main city, is really far, and Jackie would bring us food and alcohol all the way from Shanghai for sharing. I want to be like them.
Question: Recently in other interview, you mentioned that you are actually a Family man. Lately you have been working a lot more overseas, long-term away from home, do you miss home?
Siwon: Actually, I am thinking of going home right now, I missed my Bugsy especially. I am staying with my parents, and sometimes I would think that I should be a little bit more independent, but for now, I think living with them is the best thing to do.
Question: There are many Korean stars who would bring along Korean food when they work overseas, do you have anything that you need to bring along as well?
Siwon: No, I do not like that. If I am going to Italy, I would want to eat the Italian food, eat Italian ham.
Question: No kimchi?
Siwon: No, no kimchi! Oh wait, what did you said? Ah, you are making me thinking of having kimchi now, ha, I am kidding. Whenever I work overseas, I don't have a must-bring item to carry along, unless I am on diet. Do you want to diet? One breast chicken meat with a little oil on it, that's it, ah~ (In the agony mode)



Question: How is your learning of Mandarin as of now?
Siwon: Right now, I can speak Mandarin, sometimes good, sometimes bad. Not enough sleep, not good. Enough sleep, much better.
Question: When did you learn Mandarin?
Siwon: At the beginning, I started learning when the company sent me to Beijing, in 2004. My thinking was the same as the company, that in the next 10 years, China's market could be important. My boss, Mr. Lee, said that if (I) could master Mandarin, my future would be very smooth 10 years later. In the end, 10 years later, my life is tough everyday, haha.
Question: Is learning a foreign language an easy task for you?
Siwon: Learning a new language is a very interesting thing to do, but if I use Mandarin more often, I will tend to forget about English, and sometimes Korean, do you understand what am I talking now? Previously, I studied at Beijing University. (Change of topic) I heard that there is a Haidilao in Singapore, I saw it, it is real. (Manager: Don't think about it.) Ha, when I go China, I will go for Haidilao over there, Taiwan is Dingwang, Hong Kong is Ding Tai Feng, for Singapore I love to eat chilli crab.
Question: What is your favorite Chinese line that you like to use?
Siwon: Erm, when there are times that I cannot say certain things, I will use: The secret that cannot be told.
Question: How about your ability in adapting?
Siwon: Its fine for me, but I have my principles, a few things, like my religion, marriage. I don't have the confidence to start a family yet, marriage is the most important event in life. The person that I like hasn't appear yet, I haven't got the feeling of "oh, its her, even if I have to lose everything, I just have to be with her" that kind of person.



Question: Recently, you uploaded a picture "I'm taken" in instagram, and caused a wave of anxiety among the fans.
Siwon: Ha, oh that, that was really a joke. My manager messaged me immediately asking me what's with me, everyone went to her weibo and asked her what's wrong? I was just joking, I asked her what should I do or do I need to do any clarification? She said nope, don't do things without thinking, don't add in with the drama, wait till the next interview to tell everyone. Ha, she is an experienced ahjumma, I trust her.
Question: What if one day, you found your dream girl, will you announce?
Siwon: Actually, I am very busy now, I haven't enlist in the army yet, so there is no confidence in marriage. I think I would want to focus on my career right now. At the moment, career is the most important, and not "us". If one day, I decided that I had enough, maybe its time, everyone come, ha!
Question: You have been out in the showbiz for 10 years, what are the things that you achieved and lose the most?
Siwon: The biggest things that I lost, should be my campus life, relationship, girlfriend. When I debut at 18, 19, when I was a trainee at SME, if lets say life is like a round apple, my life would be an apple with a bite at the side, you know that Apple's logo, with that small bite which is not that completed. I don't have any campus experience. Everyone should have it, right? I envied the people back then, when they discussed about girlfriends, "where (you) met her? Oh, I met her at the university". That will be nice.
I got scholarship when I was in university, so (I) don't have to pay for studies, everything was so awesome, (I) met new friends in classes doing reports, but when I appeared at the campus, everyone was so curious about me, I couldn't be like a normal student. And I am always so busy, so I guess no girls would like to have a boyfriend who is this busy, (they) want the attention on themselves always, But I can't, so....this is it.
My life is a blessed, I am grateful for that, but you would think at times, if there is a chance to better experience life, what will you do? I think I would want to spend more times with my family, though tend to quarrel with parents some times and make them unhappy, but I will still want to stay with them, to always learn from them, and my life is much more balanced in this sense. In the future when I am married, I will have to be more independent, but until the day I enlist for army, I want to be with them, even if I move away one day, probably is just moving to stay opposite them, ha.
Question: In the other eyes' on Siwon, you are always the person with the best of luck, as if you own all the best things, or (a person) who can get hold of everything easily. What do you think about yourself?
Siwon: That would be Jackie, not me, haha, I don't own a private jet. Not many youngsters nowadays will think of the next generation, I think I am a little matured for my age, but we cannot not think about our future, life is a cycle, to think of how to develop the next generation, to have a family and kids, this line (showbiz) needs new generation as well, I hope to create a good opportunity for the environment, just like Jackie, to provide a platform for those who is lacking the chance to be on stage, and not for commercial usage to earn money.
Question: Chinese New Year is coming, what about the New Year in Korea, how are you going to spend it?
Siwon: Main priority will be with my family, and one or two special days for me and my Bugsy. And to my mother's hometown, to visit the elderly, just like how the other Asian spend their New Year.

picture credit: 崔始源吧
English Translation credit to: Minology0301
re-posted by: chindy pratiwi
PLEASE TAKE OUT WITH FULL AND PROPER CREDIT

No comments:

Post a Comment